Google Play Store is the best and largest portal for downloading thousands of apps for Android. Initially, the Play Store only distributed apps, but now it offers books, magazines, movies, and music and etc. This is not essential for the Android operating system, but it can be a bit difficult to use the phone without it. The Play Store app is usually installed by default on any device running the Android operating system. The Play Store app cannot be updated in the same way as the Android app update. In this guide, we are talking about how to update the Google Play Store on any android device.
Why does Google Play Store need to be updated? Settings are usually configured to update this automatically. In some cases, this may have stopped. Also, when you reset an Android device, all the apps that came with the device come to their older version. In such cases, you should definitely update this app because application developers not only introduce new features but also provide security updates for apps.
Method 1 – From the Play Store settings
This is the easiest way to update the google play store. The Play Store can be updated by itself, but doing this at least once a month can make sure the Play Store app is up to date. Follow these steps.
- Launch the Play store app on your device.
- Tap on the three horizontal lines at the top left corner or simply swipe the screen from the left edge of the app, then tap on the Settings option.
- On the Settings menu, scroll down and look for the ‘Play Store version‘ option. Tap on it.
If your device already has the latest update of the Google Play Store, it will show a message ‘Google Play Store is up to date‘ on the screen. If not, the play store will update automatically now.
Method 2 – Clear the Play Store app data
As mentioned earlier, the Play Store app is set to update automatically. If not, it could be a problem with the app. In such cases, you can clear the data in the app and try again. Follow these steps.
- Open the device settings and go to the app list.
- Scroll down and find the Google play store app and tap on it.
- Go to the Storage option and tap on the Clear Storage/ Clear Data button.
- After doing these steps, do the first method in this guide.