The touchpad is used as a pointing device in computers. Also, a mouse can use for this. Most laptops have pre-installed touchpad because laptops commonly made for portable works. But not always. If we randomly select a group of people and ask them for what is easiest for you among touchpad and mouse, the answer for most of them is the mouse. For example, when playing a computer game, you definitely need a mouse. You may want to switch off the touchpad for energy savings or other necessities when using another pointing device. In this guide, we are talking about how to turn off touchpad on Windows 10 operating system.
Some laptop models have a physical function key to turn off and turn on the touchpad. That key may have an icon resembling a touchpad.
If your laptop hasn’t such a button, follow a method from this guide.
Turn Off Touchpad from Windows 10 Settings
This method can be quite difficult at first. But doing this multiple times will make it easier for you.
- Go to the Windows Settings (Windows key + I) and go into Devices option.
- From the left side panel, find and click on the Touchpad option.
- Click on the toggle switch named touchpad to turn it off.
This switch may not be visible in certain situations. If your laptop does not show this toggle button, follow these steps.
- Click on Additional settings option found under the Related Settings in the right-side panel.
- Go to the Hardware tab and select your touchpad and click the Properties button at the bottom of the window.
- In the touchpad properties window, click on the Change Settings button.
- Go to the Driver tab and click on the Disable Device button to turn off the touchpad on your laptop.
Using third-party applications
There are several tools you can disable the touchpad. I selected the Touchpad Blocker tool because this is the best one of the list.
- Go to this link and download the tool and install it on your laptop.
- Once installed, open the Touchpad Blocker. Configure the settings as you want.