Windows Media Player or WMP is an audio and video player that supports the Windows operating system developed by Microsoft. It can be used to play songs and videos and is still usable. The latest version of WMP 12 was released with Windows 7 and is now more than ten years old. However, it can be used when you do not need or need to install another media player after installing the operating system. In this guide, we are talking about how to download Windows Media Player in Windows 10.
How to download Windows Media Player in Windows 10
Actually, you do not need to download Windows Media Player. It is a Windows feature. If this is not installed, then you have to activate this feature. Before activating, check if you have already installed the player on your computer.
Open the Start menu and expand the Windows Accessories folder.
If it isn’t there, you have to enable a feature. Follow the steps below.
- Press the Windows key + R to open Run and type ‘optionalfeatures‘ and press the enter key. This will open the Windows features list.
- Scroll down the list and find the ‘Media Features‘ folder and expand it. Now you will see the ‘Windows Media Player‘ feature and add the checkmark in the checkbox and then click the OK button.
- Now the installation will take a few minutes to complete. Then you will need to restart the computer for the changes to take effect.
- Once the computer restarted, open the Start menu and expand the Windows Accessories folder. You can find the WMP in there.
Make WMP as the default media player app.
WMP supports both audios and videos. So you can use this as a music player or a video player. Follow the steps below.
- Press the Windows key + I to open Windows settings and go into the Apps section.
- Select the ‘Default Apps‘ option from the left pane.
- Select the Windows Media Player for Video player and Music player options.