The PDF file type is now trendy because it supports any electronic device, including computers and phones, and is easy to use. Also, the file is a bit difficult to modify. For these reasons, the PDF file type is widely used for office as well as personal purposes. But how to create a PDF? In this guide, we are talking about how to create and save PDF files in Windows 10 operating system.
In Windows 10, you don’t need to install any software to create a PDF. You can make a PDF of something created by any software that supports printing. You can also save web pages as PDFs because web browsers support printing web pages.
How to create and save PDF files
First, you have to activate a feature in the Windows operating system.
Activate the Microsoft Print to PDF feature
- Press the Windows key + R and type appwiz.cpl and press the enter key.
- Click the ‘Turn Windows features on or off‘ link in the left pane.
- Scroll down the list and find the Microsoft Print to PDF feature.
- Put the right mark in the Microsoft Print to PDF checkbox and click the OK button.
- And it will ask to restart for save the changes. Click the ‘Restart now‘ button.
Check that the activated feature is working correctly.
As I mentioned, earlier, this works as a printer. You can go to the Printer list and check if it works. Follow the steps below.
- Press the Windows key + R and type ‘Control Printers‘ (without quotes) and press the enter key.
- Now check if there is a printer named ‘Microsoft Print to PDF‘ on the list.
If it is on the list, then the feature you have enabled is working correctly. If it is not listed, repeat the first step.
Save a file as a PDF type.
In this step, we will save the web page as a PDF file using the enabled feature.
- Open any browser installed on your computer.
- Go to any website you want to save as a PDF.
- Right-click on the page and select the Print option. Or you can use the CTRL + P shortcut keys.
- Select the ‘Save as PDF‘ as the printer and click the Save button.
- Select a location to save the PDF.
In this guide saved a web page as a PDF just for an example. Now you can save your files as PDFs from software like Microsoft Word.