If your computer has a password, sometimes it can be forgotten. Most people use easy passwords for their computers. Some also use complicated passwords. The password reset disks allow you to reset your Windows password. In this guide, we are talking about how to create a password reset disk in Windows 10 operating system.
This disk can be used at any time, any day; unless you have to reinstall the operating system. However, this is not possible if you have forgotten your password before creating a password disk. You will need to log in to your account first. Let us see how to do this step by step.
❗ Important: Windows password reset disks only available for local accounts. Also, you can’t reset your Microsoft password using this Password Reset Disk.
Make a Password Reset Disk
You must have a USB flash drive to create a password reset disk. As far as I know, CDs or DVDs cannot be used for this purpose.
- First, connect your USB drive, open the start menu, and type ‘Control Panel’ to find the classic control panel.
- Click on the search result at the top.
- Once open, go to User accounts.
- Again, go to User accounts on that window.
- Click the ‘Create a password reset disk’ option at the left side panel.
- Now it will open the Forgotten Password Wizard. Click the next button.
- Now you can select your USB drive. Here, I chose my USB drive. Then click the next button.
- Enter the current user password. Click the next button.
- Almost done. The tool will proceed to create the password reset disk.
- Once completed the process, click the next button. On the next window, click the finish button.
Open your USB drive, and you can see a file named ‘userkey.psw‘ about 2-4KB size. Now you can backup this single file to a CD or a DVD. I recommend putting it in cloud storage like Google Drive.
You can use this on the forgot password section.
⚠️ Attention: Keep this file in a secret place. Anyone who has obtained this file can change your computer password.