What is the MAC (Media Access Control Address) address? Mac address is a unique address/ value assigned to a network interface controller for use network communications. Unlike IPs, MAC addresses are static for a network card. If you connect to the Internet using a router it has a public IP. Even if your router uses more than one user, it all has the same public IP address. When multiple people use the same public IP address over the Internet, this MAC address is used to distribute the received and sent data packets accurately. Why need to change the MAC address? As I said before, the MAC address is unique for a network card. A simple example is that when you connect to a public WiFi network, it identifies you from your MAC address. If you connected to the same network the other day, they would verify that you are the same person you were before. If you change your Mac address a second time, they will identify you as a new contact. In this guide, we are talking about how to change the MAC address on Windows 10/8/7.
⚠️ Important: Most network cards allow you to change the MAC address. But some of them may not support this feature.
What is your default MAC address?
You can see your MAC address using the Windows Powershell. Follow these steps.
- Right-click on the start menu button (Windows key + X) and select the Windows PowerShell option.
ipconfig /alland press the Enter key.
You can see your MAC address in the Physical Address line. Also, you can see that the addresses are different from the adapters.
Change the MAC Address in Windows
There are several ways to do this. I use the Device Manager option now.
- Right-click on the start menu button (Windows key + X) and select the Device Manager option from the list.
- Expand the list named ‘Network Adapters‘.
- Right-click on the network adapter and go to the Properties.
- Go to the Advanced tab and scroll down the list and find the option ‘Network address’. Then click on it.
- Put the radio button at the ‘Value’ option.
- Type your custom MAC address on that box without any separating characters.
- After that, click the OK button.
Now you can check your changes is working using the PowerShell method I mentioned before. If you have done all the steps correctly and the MAC address hasn’t changed, restart your computer and check again.