When any device is connected to a computer network, each device is assigned a specific IP address (Internet Protocol address) at that time. This IP address is important for maintaining connectivity with other devices on the network, as well as for sending and receiving data. In case you are disconnected from the network, and you will reconnect, you may receive a separate IP address, and another device may have received the IP address you previously received. This is a situation that can sometimes lead to problems. For example, if a device has an FTP server, it must always have the same IP address. For this, you can assign a static IP to each device through the settings of the router (DHCP) that runs the network. Or you can get a static IP from your Windows operating system settings. In this guide, we are talking about how to change the IP address in Windows 10 operating system.
Note: This is not recommended if your network has multiple devices. This is because the IP address of your choice may have already been obtained from another device.
How to Change the IP address in Windows 10
There are several ways to do this. Read every method and follow an easy way.
How to check the current IP address of your computer
Use this before and after using the methods below and check if the IP address has changed.
- Press the Windows key + X and select the ‘Command Prompt’ option.
- Type ‘ipconfig’ and press the enter key.
- Now, it will show your IP address in the ‘IPv4 Address’ line.
By using the control panel
- Press the Windows key + Q to open the Windows search and search for ‘Control Panel’.
- Open it.
- Click on the ‘Network and Internet’ link and then on the ‘Network and sharing center’ section.
- Click the ‘Change adapter settings’ link in the left pane.
- Right-click on the network adapter you need to change the IP on / the network adapter you are using and select the Properties option.
- Click on the ‘Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)’ and then click the ‘Properties’ button.
- Select the ‘Use the following IP address’ radio button and enter the manual IP address you want to use.
- Leave the Subnet mask box. It will fill up automatically.
- In the Default gateway field, enter your router’s IP address.
- Click the OK buttons and close these windows.
Use the CMD method mentioned above and check if the IP has changed.