Are you looking for ways to speed up the Internet? Or are you looking for ways to make your Web site safer? You can change the DNS settings for it. What is DNS? DNS stands for ‘Domain Name System,‘ and it is used for IP address management of websites worldwide. Quite simply, when you are browsing for sites using URLs but searching for them should convert it back to the IP address of that website. This activity happens on the DNS servers. If the DNS server is slower, also your web browsing speed gets slower. Internet Service Providers manage their own DNS servers to provide users with a better web browsing experience. But in some respects, those servers can be slow. For example, if many people make requests from the server at the same time, it will slow down. You can switch your DNS for another faster DNS server. In this guide, we are talking about how to change the DNS settings in Windows 10.
Before starting the guide, here’s a list of the best and free DNS servers. You can take the DNS server’s IP from clicking the following links.
In this guide, I use Google DNS IPs.
- Preferred DNS –
- Alternate DNS –
Method 1 – Using the Windows Settings app
- Open the Settings app (Windows key + I) and go into the Network & Internet option.
- Go to WiFi using the left side panel. (or Ethernet. Depends on your connection type)
- Click on the connection want to change the DNS.
- Under IP settings, click the Edit button.
- Use the drop-down menu and select the Manual option.
- Switch on the IPv4 toggle.
- Enter DNS IPs in the Preferred DNS box and the Alternate DNS box.
- Click the Save button.
Method 2 – Using the Control Panel
- Open the Start menu and search the Control Panel. Then click on it.
- Go to the Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center and click the Change adapter settings in the left pane.
- Right-click on the WiFi adapter (or another adapter. Depends on your connection type) and select the Properties option.
- Select the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) option from the list and click the Properties button in the same panel.
- Enable the option ‘Use the following DNS server addresses‘ to use a custom DNS server.
- Enter the Preferred DNS IP and the Alternate DNS IP.
- Click the OK button.
Check if the DNS has changed
Go to Whatsmydnsserver.com and click the button to find your DNS server. Here is how my changes work. (Google DNS)
Read Also: How to be Safe on the Internet – iHackPc.com.