When using the Windows operating system, what you download is saved in a single folder named ‘Downloads.’ When downloading something from a computer, saving everything in one place makes it easier for you, and you can use only a few steps to go to the download folder. But someone may want to change this. In this guide, we are talking about how to change the default download location in Windows 10 operating system.
How to change the default download location in Windows 10
There are several ways you can change this. Let’s talk about one by one. Read all the methods and choose the method that suits you and is convenient for you.
Method 1: By changing the Browser settings
This method is simple, and this is the method we recommend to do. In this method, I am using Microsoft Edge Browser (Chromium) because it is the main browser in Windows. Follow the steps below.
- Open the web browser.
- Click the three horizontal dots in the upper right corner.
- Go to the Downloads section using the left panel.
- Click the Change button and select the new location where you want to save your downloads.
Or you can select the location where you want to download and save each download by turning on the toggle below that setting.
Method 2: Using Windows Settings
This feature only comes with the Windows 10 version. Remember, doing this will change not only the download but also other saving locations. The disadvantage here is that you cannot apply a separate folder for this. This will create a download folder on the same disk of your choice and save your files there. Follow these steps.
- Press the Windows key + I to open the Windows Settings and go into the System section.
- Click the Storage option in the left pane.
- Then scroll down the right pane and click the ‘Change where new content is saved‘ link under the More storage settings section.
- Now, you can change the default download location for apps, documents, music, etc. with this feature.